Friday 22 April 2016

The Identity of Ireland

When reading the texts Irish Journal and A Walk in Ireland within my Travel Literature class, I was struck by how much "my Ireland" related to "the Ireland" of the two authors, particularly within the description of the land and the cities. The way people perceive Ireland is intricately woven into the landscape of the country.
County Kerry


In my head "my Ireland" was a rich green land that had a bit of "magic" in the air. This may come from the fact that I read a multitude of Irish fairytales when I was younger. My idea has evolved a little since I've lived here and now have a better understanding of the cities and the "real" Ireland but the beauty of the landscape has not ceased to bewilder me. When I was hiking in County Kerry (above photo) and traveling along the Burren (below photo) I really did feel that I was in an Ireland that is consistently portrayed in poems and art. The impressiveness of the landscape is also described in Irish Journal and A Walk in Ireland.

Within Irish Journal and A Walk in Ireland the authors have also discussed how the land has shaped their perspective of Ireland. The rough wilderness and the rich colors make it clear why so many people of Ireland were and are writers and artists. The mountains described in the books are the same mountains I have walked upon and creates a timelessness of the Irish identity. I believe that the authors see the landscape as part of the "visual" identity of Ireland, which is one that many people can relate to.
County Waterford

The Burren


Living within Limerick city has not changed my view of Ireland, but rather has expanded on it. The pubs that line the street and the churches that can be seen from a distance creating images of the history of the land. Heinrich Böll's description of the grey streets and the churches where identical to my thoughts when I first saw the city.

I find it amazing that the "visual" identity of Ireland is the same for so many people who come from different places.

No comments:

Post a Comment