Wednesday 13 April 2016

Location and Identity

This blog has been created as part of a final project for my Travel Literature Course here at the University of Limerick. The following posts will be a handful of stories that reflect how my time here at UL has been shaped by language as well as my identity as an Irish-American. Then I will reflect upon the ways that my experiences here relate to the reading of my Travel Literature class.

When I first moved to Ireland to start my studies at the University of Limerick, my reasons for being there were not primarily academic. Even though the program that was offered at UL was what drew me to this particular university, the main reason I had chosen to earn my degree abroad was because of my heritage.

My mother is Irish. She was born in Cobh, Country Cork and grew up in the seaside town of Dungarven in County Waterford. I had spent the majority of my summer in Dungarven when visiting my grandparents. However, I didn't feel that I had been able to "grow" the Irish part of my identity.

Cobh


When in Ireland, I was considered the "American girl". Back home in the US, I was known as having an Irish mother but my own identity was still primarily American. This has evolved throughout my time here. Now, I feel as if my identity has become more solidified as I have a better understanding of the language in Ireland as well as the culture. I participate in both of these things without having to think about them. While I don't particularly feel more Irish or less American, my identity has certainly evolved.

For the next few posts, I will draw comparisons between my personal experiences here in Ireland and the texts within our Travel Literature course. When I read these texts it was like reading my own thoughts about the country and how traveling here has affected my identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment