Monday 25 April 2016

Life at UL

As I reach the end of my time here at UL, I feel that it is necessary to pause and give some reflection. While my identity has evolved, it did not follow the path I thought it would take. I believed (albeit naively) that living in Ireland would make me feel "more Irish" and "balance" the cultural heritage I have.

Instead, I find that I am still considered an American. However, this is only a singular part of my identity. I have a better understanding of Europe, of traveling, and (here comes the cliche) life in general. Being constantly surrounded by a different culture and language certainly encourages adaptation. I may still be American, but now I am also a more educated and adventurous young woman (I like to think so).

At the Cliffs of Moher
Ireland has not changed since I have lived here. I still view it as "magical" but now through a more mature eye. Normalcy is starting to seep into my life here. Reading The Art of Traveling stirred up a feeling of nostalgia. I can clearly remember the anticipation of dedicating my time to a school in a different country. The anticipation was often strong, mostly terrifying, and occasionally joyful.

There was a great deal of fear during the quiet afternoon when I had nothing to distract me from the fact that my loved ones were an ocean away. There was a feeling of triumph when I experienced the seas breeze and the sweeping walls of the Cliffs of Moher. There was a feeling of disorientation when I woke up in the morning and would forget, for a spilt second, which country in was living in. However, I also experienced a great deal of reassurance when I learned that many other international student have experienced the exact emotional ups and downs.

By writing this blog (however small) I can now also see how travel writing plays its own part. Whether it is written as a scientific piece or simply to capture a personal experience, its will create a picture/identity that will impact the thoughts of the audience. In the very least, perhaps they too can relate to my misadventures.

The ski slopes at UL

No comments:

Post a Comment